Is there a better combination than chocolate and orange? No, no there is not. (I’ll probably make this claim about several food pairings over the course of this blog, but we’ll just skim over that…). This chocolate orange parfait is rich and creamy and melt-in-your-mouth good!
Add to that a crunchy hazelnut crumb and you’ve got a well rounded, but simple, dessert. The chocolate orange parfait can be made ahead of time whilst the crumb can be whizzed up in about 30 seconds, making this an ideal dinner party dessert. You know, when you want it to look like you’ve been slaving away all day without actually doing so? (I say that but I’m one of those weirdos who loves whole days in the kitchen!)
As an aside, I’m pretty sure I deserve a medal for taking these photos without so much as a bite of this dessert. I’m currently attempting a little 5 day sugar free detox (a ridiculous idea, I know!). OK, maybe 4 days, because let’s be realistic – Fridays are not for detoxing! I’m currently almost 3 days in and successful so far which is basically a miracle. I hope you’re all proud of me
P.S. I’ve been nominated for a UK Blog Award in the Food & Drink category. If you like what I do here then I’d really love if you’d vote for me here – thank you!
- 500ml double cream
- 150g dark chocolate
- 2 oranges (juice of)
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 sachet gelatin, dissolved in hot water as per packet instructions
- 50g hazelnuts
- 25g light brown sugar
- Heat the cream in a saucepan until it starts to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the dark chocolate until it has all melted.
- Add the orange juice and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the gelatin and stir to mix.
- Grease 6 ramekins or moulds and divide the mixture between them. Transfer to the fridge and leave to set overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
- To make the crumb, add the hazelnuts and sugar to a food processor and process until you have a fine crumb. Dust the top of the cooled and set desserts with this.