With all the Great Blogger Bake Off fun that’s been going on here lately you’d be forgiven for thinking that I spend my life eating cakes and pastries, but believe it or not I’m just as big a fan of savoury cooking too.
This rocket and basil pesto has been a kitchen staple recently – it’s so quick and easy to put together and can be used to add a little oomph to so many dishes. We love it with fresh pasta and parmesan or smothered over salmon fillets then oven baked for a perfect pesto crust. If you’d prefer a more traditional pesto you can omit the rocket and replace it with more basil, but I love the peppery flavour the rocket adds.
- 50g pine nuts
- 30g fresh basil (1 large bunch)
- 50g rocket
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 25g grated parmesan
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a frying pan over a low heat - it should take about 4-5 minutes until they start to turn a light golden colour.
- Add the pine nuts, basil and rocket to a food processor and process until well mixed. Add the garlic, parmesan and olive oil and process until smooth. If you'd prefer a thinner pesto, add more oil, 1 tsp at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.