Ahhh bbq pulled pork, let me count the ways I love thee…
1. in a brioche bun, smothered in monterey jack cheese with crunchy gherkins
2. tucked into soft tortillas, with jalapenos + homemade guacamole
3. on pizza, with onions + sweet peppers
4. in pulled pork mac n cheese (you better believe this is happening soon!)
Ahem. My slow cooker’s been getting a little neglected lately. For somebody who spends approximately 70% of her free time in the kitchen, mine is pitifully small. This means that a lot of my kitchen gadgets (which, FYI, include a meat mincer – don’t ask – and an ice-cream machine) end up hidden away on top of the fridge.
Let’s be realistic though – the slow cooker is going to come in handy far more often than the ice-cream machine. I’d forgotten just how beautiful it is to shove a load of ingredients in it and then return home to a freshly cooked dinner with zero effort. Even better when said dinner is pulled pork!
This slow cooker bbq pulled pork recipe is one of my all time favourites. It requires minimal skill, time and effort yet produces something incredible. However you decide to eat yours, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
What’s your favourite way to serve bbq pulled pork – inspire me!
- 2 onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (approx 1.5kg)
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml bbq sauce
- Homemade Brioche Buns
- Monterey jack cheese
- Slice the onions and garlic and place in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix the spices, sugar and salt together then rub onto the pork shoulder. Place into the slow cooker and pour in the stock.
- Cook on medium for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard any fat. Use two forks to gently pull apart the meat. Stir in the bbq sauce and serve.