After a couple of weeks of relying on chocolate and biscuits to relieve exam stress, I’m feeling like treating my body to some slightly more nutritious food. It’s also the start of asparagus season which makes me seriously H A P P Y. Every time I eat asparagus I remember how much I love it & wonder why I don’t eat well all the time. Then I remember that, actually, I love cake even more than the best veggies aaand therein lies the answer…
I go through little phases of loving certain foods, and don’t tend to realise until Ricky points out that we’ve ate asparagus 6 nights in a row and can we *please* have something different. I often wonder how many consecutive evenings of asparagus it’d take before he offers to cook, but we’ve never quite made it that far 😉
Anyway, to the food! This dish is like all my spring salad dreams in one delicious big bowl. Ever-so-slightly charred asparagus, crisp salty bacon, tender chicken and a hint of lemon to liven things up!
It’s also the first recipe I’ve published featuring kale (yes, I am about 2 years behind the health gurus of the world). This is something I really want to get excited about (Uhh I’m getting excited about kale, who am I!?) but, I have another kale salad recipe coming up so I’ll save it for then.
Can you tell it’s been a while since I blogged? I’m getting giddy about asparagus and kale! Don’t worry though, there’ll be a triple chocolate cookie recipe coming soon if all this veggie chat is getting too much for you. Balance, people, balance!
- 75g asparagus
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- large handful iceberg lettuce
- large handful kale
- 125g cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 rashers bacon, grilled and chopped into small pieces
- half a lemon (juice of)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Toss the asparagus in the oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill under a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until lightly charred.
- Chop the lettuce and kale into fairly small pieces and mix together. Layer the salad, chicken, bacon and asparagus in a bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and toss with the salad.