If it were possible for a type of food to be your soulmate, Mexican would be mine. Honestly, I’m never not in the mood for Mexican! When I’m struggling for inspiration and want something relatively easy to knock together, it always wins out. These chicken chorizo tacos are my latest dinner obsession.
If you’ve got a well stocked spice rack, the spice mix is quick & easy to make. If not, any shop bought fajita/chilli/enchilada seasoning will work.
The spice mix, a squeeze of lime juice and some crushed garlic gets mixed in with the meat to form a nice marinade before frying. The chorizo oil will ooze out a little creating a rich, saucy mixture to pile on top of soft tacos. Are you drooling yet?
To counteract the richness, tomatoes, avocado and red onion are tossed with a little olive oil to form a refreshing salsa. Serve on mini tortillas (I’ve got a recipe coming soon or you can find them in most supermarkets) and finish with a drizzle of soured cream and finely sliced radishes for crunch. Simple!
The finished dish is the perfect mixture of salty chorizo, a hint of heat from the marinade, and a creamy, cooling topping to round it all off. If you’re big into spicy food, a splash of chipotle sauce and some sliced jalapenos wouldn’t go amiss either. Sadly I’ve got a chili-phobe living in my house so had to give these a miss 😉
- 200g chicken breast, diced
- 75g chorizo, sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice (about 1 small lime)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 large salad tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- pinch of salt
- handful coriander
- soft tortillas
- sliced radishes
- soured cream
- Add the chicken and chorizo to a bowl with the lime juice and garlic.
- In a separate dish, mix the spices/salt until well combined. Add to the chicken/chorizo and mix to coat all of the meat. Leave to marinate whilst making the salsa.
- Scoop out the insides of the tomatoes and dice. Add to a bowl alongside the other salsa ingredients and mix.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the chicken and chorizo. Cook over a medium heat until the chicken is fully cooked, about 4-6 minutes.
- Serve on soft tortillas with the avocado salsa, sliced radishes and soured cream.