Last March Ricky got me a waffle iron for my birthday. Who wants jewellery when you can have crispy, fluffy waffles at your fingertips every. single. day. Erm, just me?? Anyway, point being that this recipe is long overdue. Our poor little kitchen is overloaded with gadgets and appliances so it’s a special moment when the waffle iron makes an appearance.
It took a few tries to find the perfect vanilla buttermilk waffles recipe but I’m pretty confident this is it. Crisp on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside and juuust sweet enough (but with plenty of wiggle room for drowning them in maple syrup, obvs).
In order to do a thorough taste test, I kept things pretty simple with the toppings and opted for classic butter & maple syrup, with a few raspberries thrown in to counteract the sweetness.
Next time I’m going to go for mascarpone & chocolate sauce because doesn’t that just sound like a dream breakfast? Plus, mascarpone = protein = health food. I mean, I know that’s not exactly how it works but let’s just go with it, OK?
Just in case you’ve spontaneously decided you need a waffle iron in your life (I don’t blame you), the VonShef Quad Waffle Maker is the one I own and is currently less than half price (!!) on Amazon. It must be fate 😉
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 30g light brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml buttermilk
- 75g butter, melted and cooled a little
- Maple syrup
- Fresh raspberries
- Preheat your waffle maker, according to appliance instructions. Mix the sifted flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry, gently whisking until no lumps remain. The batter will be quite thick. Be careful not to over mix or your waffles will be too dense.
- Spoon some of the mixture onto your waffle iron and gently spread out. Don't worry about covering the whole iron - it will spread as it cooks.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes then serve topped with butter & maple syrup.