Guys, let me start with a warning. If you’re hungry, go get a snack, right now. You do not wanna be looking at delicious salted caramel macadamia blondies with a rumbling tummy.
I edited these photos the other day, after work but before dinner. Umm, guess who regretted that immediately??
I was practically drooling over my laptop whilst simultaneously cursing myself for having no cake in the house to curb my cravings. The blondies were long gone by this point, obvs.
Anyway, let’s talk about these dreamy salted caramel brownies! They’ve got that rich, butterscotch flavour with an extra hit of salted caramel sweetness and a little nutty crunch from macadamias.
These actually started out life as white chocolate blondies . But, then I made a batch of homemade salted caramel sauce.
I figured my options were either:
a) eat the caramel straight out the jar until I felt sick (tempting, not gonna lie), or
b) bake these salted caramel macadamia blondies
Aaand, the rest is history, as they say. (99% sure that phrase was not meant to be applied to baked goods, but hey ho…)
I also defs ate a good few spoonfuls before deciding on option b, shhh! No judgement here…
The salted caramel sauce is super sweet so to avoid these being too sickly I ditched the white chocolate and went for chopped macadamia instead.
If you’re not a fan of nuts, leave them out. And if you’ve got a serious sweet tooth, feel free to chuck some white chocolate chips in!
The brown sugar and vanilla in this recipe is what gives the blondies that rich, butterscotch flavour. So, don’t be tempted to switch those out! I find that light brown sugar is best as it doesn’t overpower the salted caramel flavour, but dark brown would work too.
Now, to the star of the show: salted caramel sauce! You can make your own in about 10 minutes (which, quite frankly, is dangerous!). I’d recommend doing this because it’s so simple and bakes to the perfect level of gooey.
But, I get that sometimes you just want things to be super simple, so use whatever you can buy instead if you prefer. Because honestly, these are practically guaranteed to be delicious either way. Enjoy!
- 100g butter, melted
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 250g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 250g plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 100g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 175g salted caramel sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c and grease or line a square 9 inch baking tin.
- Whisk the melted butter, oil, sugar and vanilla together until well combined. Beat in the egg and yolk.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sifted flour and baking powder. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the chopped macadamia nuts.
- Press about half of the batter into your tin. Pour over about 3/4 of the salted caramel and spread in an even layer. Cover with the remaining batter then drizzle over the remaining salted caramel sauce.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top and the edges are set. The middle should still be soft -
- it'll set as the blondies cool!
- Leave to cool in the tin for at least 30 minutes before removing. Let cool completely before cutting.