These chicken satay skewers are quick & easy to make and go perfectly with a silky peanut dipping sauce.Heeeey. It’s been a while but I promise this chicken satay recipe brings me back with a bang! I actually almost held off on sharing this since my last recipe – Spicy Peanut Rice – is pretty similar.
This is one of those recipes where I’m kind of amazed by how easy it was. The marinade takes minutes to make and also forms the basis of the peanut satay sauce.
Just add coconut milk and you have a mild, nutty and super silky peanut dipping sauce.
Also, total bonus: this recipe makes ~loads~ of peanut sauce. Too little sauce is a massive bugbear of mine, both in recipes & restaurants. No danger of that here though!
Ricky and I smothered our chicken satay skewers and rice in it and still had some left over. Yaaas!
Any left over sauce will keep in the fridge for a few days and is perfect for making a quick stir fry dinner. I actually reckon next time I’m gonna make double the sauce and eat it with absolutely everything for the next few days.
Can you tell I am obsessed with this peanut dipping sauce!?
In the recipe I mention marinading your meat for up to 24 hours. I know that a longer marinade time is *supposed* to give better flavour but I’ve made it with about 5 mins marinade time and it still tasted bangin’.
So, do what suits you. If it’s easiest to prepare ahead of time when you can grab 5 minutes, go for it. But if not, don’t worry about it.
The chicken itself is tender with a deeply savoury flavour from the peanut & soy sauce marinade and just enough charring from a hot grill. It tastes great by itself but the peanut sauce takes things to another level.
I like to serve it with rice and a little salad but the chicken skewers & satay sauce are also great on their own for a starter or lighter meal.
- 75g peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 300g chicken breast
- 1/3 of the peanut marinade (above)
- 2/3 of the peanut marinade (above)
- 75ml coconut milk
- Add all of the marinade ingredients together and mix with a fork until smooth. Don't worry if it looks a bit clumpy at first - it will come together if you keep mixing. Add a little extra water if it seems too thick.
- Cut the chicken into roughly 1 inch cubes then add to a bowl with about a third of the marinade. Mix well then cover with clingfilm and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours, or use straight away. Store the remaining marinade in the fridge until ready to use/
- When ready to cook, thread the chicken onto bamboo skewers. You should get at least 4 skewers.
- Grill at a medium-high heat for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the peanut dipping sauce. Whisk the remaining marinade and coconut milk together until smooth. If you prefer the sauce warm, gently heat through in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Serve the chicken satay skewers with the dipping sauce and rice.