Crunchy Peanut Butter Bars: A super easy, 5 ingredient, no bake recipe for chocolate peanut butter bars.
Here’s the deal: I wanted to come up with a super quick, super easy recipe for all you people that
have more exciting lives aren’t into whole afternoons in the kitchen.
Obviously, the place to start was with two of my favourite ingredients: peanut butter and chocolate.
Recently though, I was determined to find a simple recipe to satisfy those ‘right-now’ cravings.
Guys, I think I went too far. It’s too easy. Dangerously easy. Like I-made-4-batches-in-two-weeks easy.
Don’t even ask me if I ate them all to myself. (I didn’t. I mean, I’m pretty sure Ricky had one or two…)
After the 3rd batch, and multiple bars eaten in one day, I almost regretted this whole idea. Almost.
But then I remembered the dreamy comfort that comes from simple treats like peanut butter bars topped with chocolate and I got over it.
These crunchy peanut butter bars are GOOD, you guys. The bottom layer is kinda soft and creamy but crunchy at the same time.
I don’t even know how that works but trust me, it does. They’re also perfect for when you’re craving some homemade treats but really cba with the time and effort of ~actually~ baking.
And when I say easy, I mean 5 ingredients, no bake, 5 minutes to assemble easy.
If you’re seriously desperate for treats like, right now, it’ll set in the freezer in 20 minutes. Otherwise, a couple of hours chilling in the fridge is plenty.
So, what d’ya need?
- peanut butter
- golden syrup (but honey or maple syrup would work too!)
- corn flakes
I actually used a mix of dark and milk chocolate, so I guess that’s 6 ingredients if we’re being reeaaally picky. Either or is totally fine though – use whatever you prefer. Happy (not) baking!
- 60g unsalted butter
- 200g golden syrup
- 325g peanut butter
- 175g corn flakes
- salt (optional - see notes)
- 100g milk chocolate
- 100g dark chocolate
- Add the butter, syrup and peanut butter to a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the ingredients have melted together.
- Put the cornflakes in a large food bag and crush using a rolling pin or your hands. They don't need to be too finely crushed - just enough that no whole flakes remain.
- Add the crushed cornflakes to the peanut butter mixture and stir to combine. Pour into an 8 inch square loose-bottomed tin and press down using the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Melt both types of chocolate together in the microwave, checking every 10 seconds or so until melted.
- Mix the chocolate then pour over the top of the peanut butter mixture in the tin. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until the chocolate has set.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into 16-20 squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
I've tested this with various types of peanut butter from the creamy processed stuff to the natural kind made with only peanuts. All kinds work (though the flavour does differ a bit).
If you're using peanut butter which doesn't contain salt (e.g. Meridian), you may want to add a little. I'd start with adding a 1/4 tsp to the melted mixture and tasting.