The inspiration for this recipe comes from a rather unlikely place: Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Now, you may have noticed that this halloumi & kiwifruit summer salad doesn’t involve burgers. Obviously.
(I say obviously, but I recently came across a ‘cheeseburger salad’ on pinterest which sounds truly disgusting. Some things are just not meant to be turned into salads…)
No, the inspiration for this recipe comes from a starter of halloumi bites with a kiwifruit habanero sauce. Honestly, that combination of salty cheese, tangy kiwifruit and a good kick of chilli blew my mind. I know I know, I’m easily impressed…
Anyway, after developing a slight addiction I reckoned it was time to try out this combination in a different format, and so the halloumi & kiwifruit summer salad was born.
It’s possibly a little late to call this a summer salad given it’s almost September (erm, HOW!?). Still, it’s full of fresh, vibrant summery flavours so let’s just go with that.
I used a mix of regular kiwifruit and golden kiwifruit for this but I think the regular kiwifruit works better. It’s a little less sweet and the extra sharpness works really well with the savoury halloumi.
But hey, use whatever you fancy. You can even omit the kiwi if you’re weird about fruit in salads. I promise it’s a decent addition though and helps balance out the heat from the chillies.
Right, I’m off to bake brownies and attempt to shift this lingering 2 day hangover (getting old is hard, guys). What’s everybody else up to today?
- 200g halloumi, sliced
- Large handful rocket or spinach
- 2 kiwifruit
- 1-2 red chillies
- handful cherry tomatoes
- 2 radishes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat a griddle pan or frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the slices of halloumi and cook for about 3-4 minutes, turning halfway.
- Whilst the halloumi is cooking, prepare the salad ingredients. Peel, slice and quarter the kiwifruit. Thinly slice the chillies (and de-seed if you want). Slice the tomatoes in half and thinly slice the radishes.
- Divide the spinach/rocket between two plates and add the kiwifruit, chillies, tomatoes and radishes. Top with the cooked halloumi.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the top.